Cascading: for short, medium and long hair
Cascade haircuts have long been a living classic. Stylish, feminine and practical – they are popular with young girls and mature women. What explains the fashion for these hairstyles, who do they fit, how to choose the best cascade depending on the shape of the face and type of hair?
What is this?
A cascade is a woman’s layered haircut that is made on any length of hair. It got its name because of the external resemblance to the flow of water (translated from the French cascade – waterfall).
The cascade belongs to the category of silhouette hairstyles. It is made according to one of two schemes: the control strand or the “strand by strand” technique. When it is created, graduation is made: a soft transition from short to long strands is obtained. In front of the hair is cut according to the type of ladder, with a smooth transition length. The strands are filtered at the sides and back so that they are soft.
Depending on the execution technique, the following types of the cascade are distinguished:
- Classic. The most common type of haircut, which for many years preferred by Jennifer Aniston. The hairstyle is characterized by a smooth transition of layers and easy graduation. It can be done with or without bangs.
- Tearful. It is created using a special hairdresser’s razor. With its help, it is possible to receive the torn edges of the hair. Filtering the torn cascade can be deep and easy. The result is a cheerful and daring hairstyle.
- Graduated. An elegant version that looks exquisite and feminine. When creating it, special attention is paid to the graduation of the tips. Thanks to this hairstyle keep its shape perfectly and do not need styling.
- Easy. Soft and romantic hair, it looks perfect on the hair to the shoulders and below. Hair is lightly, slightly graduated. To further emphasise the structure of the haircut, the lower edge can be trimmed using the “foxtail” technique.
- Asymmetrical. The zest of this variant is the curls of different length: on one side the strands are cut shorter from the face than from the opposite side. It will take time to get your hair done beautifully.
- It’s voluminous. It requires a careful filtration along the entire length of the hair.
- With a hat. The upper part of the hair is shorter and more voluminous than the lower part. This makes the haircut look like a double rack: the top of the curls form a cheerful hat, and the bottom is cut according to the principle of a classic cascade.
Cascade for different lengths of hair
Any length of hair is suitable for the creation of a cascade haircut:
- For long hair. Long hair opens up huge possibilities for this hairstyle. Depending on the customer’s wishes, the master can create a carefully profiled version or only touch the tips. In the first case, the hairstyle is voluminous and dynamic, while in the second case, it is more restrained and smooth. Another original solution is a double cascade with a cap: the hair looks short at the front and long at the back. The lower edge of the hair can be treated in different ways: cut it straight, do deep filtration or make a “foxtail”.
- Medium-length hair. The minimum length of hair is up to the shoulders, the maximum length is up to the shoulder blades. In such cases, you can create all types of haircuts – classic, torn, two-level, etc. The middle cascade is combined with all kinds of foreheads, but they look most interesting with long profiled bangs, combed on the side.
- Short hair. The minimum required the length of hair in this case – to the earlobes, the maximum – to the middle of the neck. Most haircuts are usually focused on the back of the head, but sometimes short strands can start right from the top. The original variant for short hair is the asymmetrical cascade, which has short hair on one side of the face and long hair on the other. A short cascade can be with or without bangs. Please note: too voluminous a haircut on short hair may look like a dandelion, so it is not recommended to low-fat girls.
- Cascade without bangs. Haircuts without bangs fit girls with an oval face. In other cases, it is recommended to choose a variant with a bang as it will help to correct lacks of the person. If you want to have an open forehead, choose a haircut with long bangs, which can be placed on the sides of the face – this will help to visually correct the features of the face and thus partially open the forehead.
- Cascade with a bang. This haircut fits well with many kinds of bangs, from short French to long (to the chin and below). The choice of the right bangs should be based on the shape and features of the woman’s face, as well as the structure of the haircut. For example, a torn cascade blends harmoniously with a torn bangs that are as long as the eyebrows or slightly lower. A bold enough solution – a combination of shortened or straight long bangs with a long cascade, cut with sharp feathers. Long bangs combed sideways or behind the ear is a win-win option suitable for any variant of this haircut. Figured, creative variants of bangs (in the form of a penguin or a zigzag) looks well with the torn and asymmetric cascade.
Who’s in cascade?
This haircut is versatile and suitable for almost all girls and women. But before you do it, you need to consider the structure of your hair and the shape of your face, because in some cases the cascade can make you look worse.
- Straightforward. Straight hair is a great option for a cascade haircut. The length transition is clearly visible on them.
- Wavy and curly hair. Light waves give this haircut a special beauty. This makes the hairstyle more voluminous and expressive.
- Curly. Through graduation, the cascade helps to distribute the volume over the entire length of curly hair. And if the hair is thick, the ends of the hair can be torn.
- Thick and heavy. To make the haircut more visible on a thick, heavy hairline, the master can remove a small layer of hair.
- Thin and rare. Thin hair can be added visually in volume. For this purpose, slight graduation is made, as deep hair can emphasize liquid hair even more.
- Tough. Hard hair is not the most suitable option for creating a cascade. These hairs have a bad shape, so the layered structure of the hairstyle is not very visible.
- Damaged and brittle. If the hairline is badly damaged, your hair will look bad. Broken and brittle tips will ruin the look of your hair.
Type of person
Cascade helps to visually bring the shape of the face closer to the cherished oval, to hide the shortcomings, too large or small features. In combination with a correctly selected makeup and styling, it allows you to adjust the shape of the face.
- Round face. Choose a long or medium cascade. Haircuts with hair volume below cheekbones and cheeks are suitable. It is desirable to supplement the selected option with a bang, as the open forehead will once again emphasize the round shape of the face. The optimal solution is a cascade of medium hair with asymmetrical bangs (long or oblique).
- Extended. To give it more roundness, a cascade with a volume concentrated on the sides of the face is used. Typically, the haircut is done on medium length hair, as long and short hairs can further emphasize the elongated type of face. It is advisable to avoid open foreheads and direct sampling.
- Square. The main task is to distract attention from the heavy lower jaw and the rectangular shape of the chin. A good variant is a medium length cascade with long bangs, combed laterally. Avoid the volume in the lower jaw area – it should be concentrated below the chin.
- Triangular. Cascade haircut with volume at chin level – looks great with a triangular shape of the face. Complete it with an elongated slanting bang, combed sideways.
- Oval. The oval shape of the face fits all types of cascade haircut.
Laying and staining
Methods of cascade laying
There are many different styling options. The most popular of them:
- Hairdryer. This haircut is good because it can not be stacked at all. Due to the layered structure, it will still look voluminous – you just need to dry your hair with a hairdryer, tilting your head down.
- Lokons. A festive variant of stacking, which is done with the help of a float or iron. Hair is curled from the middle to the tips, directing the curls from the face. To emphasise the waves, a small amount of mousse can be applied to them.
- Hairdryer and brushing. To add volume to your hair, you can dry it with a hairdryer by lifting it up with brushing on the top and at the roots.
- Straightening with an iron. Ironing can be used to obtain perfectly straight strands. Hair is preliminarily applied thermal protection agent, after which they are pulled out and straightened with the help of ironing.
Cascade staining methods
The colour accent is able to emphasize the layered structure of the hairstyle even more. Therefore, the following types are performed on the cascade:
- Melting. Depending on the original hair colour, the colouring can be bright or unobtrusive. Californian and Venetian cascades are popular.
- Ombre. This haircut fits well with a contrasting omber. Girls can pick up creative and bright variants of omber – with staining in blue, green and pink colours.
- Shuttle and balayage. Both techniques imply the application of dye on the hair chaotic strokes. As a result, it is possible to reach the natural effect of the hair burnt out on the sun. Both dyes are harmoniously combined with this hairstyle, emphasizing its layered structure.
Cascade – a stylish haircut that gives hair extra volume, emphasizing the femininity and beauty of its owner. Unlike many complicated hairstyles, it is relatively easy to care for: you just need to regularly update the grown ends. To look stylish, add a cascade of bright makeup and manicure – and the luxurious image is ready!